FAQ’s about Laser Hair Removal
What do I need to do to prepare for my laser hair removal treatment?
- We cannot treat you if you have had sun exposure within two weeks of your laser hair removal treatment and you must skip the spray tan; laser will sizzle any pigment on your skin including spray tanning products.
- We can arrange your treatment on the day of your consultation, so shave the night before (ideally 12 hours prior), but do not use wax or depilatory creams for two weeks prior to treatment.
- We are unable to treat you if you’ve had the sun-tanning Vitamin A injections within the last six months.
- If you have been bleaching your hair, you will need to allow the normal colour to regrow before proceeding with laser.
Otherwise there should be no further preparation required, other than shaving the area the night before and the avoidance of using deodorants and other skin products on the area the day of your treatment. Should you have any concerns, please contact your nearest clinic to discuss.
What can I expect on my first treatment?
- Before your first treatment you will need a short 15 minute consultation with one of our technicians. This is needed to assess your skin and hair type, assess your suitability for treatment and discuss how to prepare your skin for the best possible result.
- If you require a treatment on the day of your consultation, this can usually be arranged should you be suitable for treatment.
- Do not wax or use depilatory creams beforehand, but you should shave the night before.
Will laser hair removal get rid of ingrown hairs?
Laser can decrease the chance of experiencing ingrown hairs. When there is no hair in the follicle, there is less chance of an ingrown hair occurring.
Can laser hair removal be performed on darker skin tones?
Yes, our gold standard Candela YAG medical grade lasers offer safe and effective hair reduction for most clients with darker skin types.
Can laser be used for male hair issues?
Yes, a large percentage of our clientele are male and the most common areas treated are back, chest and arms.
How long does a laser session take?
Laser is a fast and effective treatment, depending on your area of treatment you can be in and out in as little as 15 minutes.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
Laser hair removal has fast become one of the most effective options for permanent hair reduction. No laser clinic can claim 100% hair removal, as some hair will always strive to grow back. Re-growth can be affected by hormones and other biological factors which can vary from person to person.
Can all hair colours be reduced through laser hair removal?
Using our medical grade equipment, our fully trained laser technicians can target most hair colours, with the exception of grey, pale red, white and white blonde.
What results can I expect from laser hair removal at The Cosmetic Clinic?
You’ll see a dramatic reduction in the density and thickness of hair in the treated area. Once you complete your treatment plan, you should expect long-term hair reduction. Our obligation free laser consultation will help determine your long term result.
How long will I need between treatment sessions?
Treatments should be every 4-6 weeks depending on your technician’s recommendation. Each client is unique and your technician will advise you according to your hair and skin type.
Is laser hair removal comfortable?
Laser hair removal is designed to be a relatively comfortable treatment. After after each treatment the hair becomes lighter or thinner and discomfort subsides.
- Tip – Treatment is more comfortable if you have effectively shaved before getting laser.
What should I expect post treatment?
During the following weeks, the treated hair will fall out gradually. The timing of your treatments dramatically influences the outcome due to hair growth patterns, thus we suggest you book a course of laser hair removal treatments rather than sporadic appointments.
The treatment area may appear “sunburnt” after treatment; Institut Laser Aid (post laser treatment) and cold compresses will ease discomfort and swelling. Avoid applying makeup to the area in the unlikely event of blistering and stay out of the sun, using a minimum of SPF 30+ sunscreen on the treated area to prevent complications from occurring as your skin will be sensitive to the sun for a minimum of 48 hours after treatment. It is recommended during your laser treatments that you protect your skin and continue to keep the treated area protected from the sun.
What information do I need to provide to my technician prior to treatment?
- It is extremely important that clients inform us of any contradictions, including current and prior medications that you may be taking.
- It is important to understand your ethnic heritage, this will assist your technician in assessing your skin Fitzpatrick and determining the most suitable treatment settings for you.
- Have you been exposed to the sun or any type of tanning agent? We cannot treat you if you have a sunburn or any type of tan (including natural, solarium or spray tanning beds) on the treatment area.
- Tip – Institut Gylcolic scrub is a great product to use in order to scrub off any fake tan.
- Have you been using Retinol on the treatment area? We advise all clients not to use Retinol (Topical vitamin A) or hydroquinone (whitening creams) within 3-4 days of treatment.
Are there any possible side effects that I need to be aware of?
- All of our laser technician are trained thoroughly and are all qualified technicians using medical grade technology. Expected skin responses post treatment would be pinkness and mild swelling around the hair follicle.
- Each client’s skin will respond differently. Your technician will discuss the appropriate aftercare during your treatment. It is extremely important to follow post and aftercare advice stringently.
- It is extremely important that clients inform us of any contradictions, medications and deviations to your skincare you have made prior and during your treatment.